The causeway is between Bridge 1 and Bridge 2 in the floodplain of the north branch of the Cross River.
The temporary structure made up of pallets and dimensional lumber was installed in December 2018 and was used to facilitate materials transport via the Gator utility vehicle over an area of the trail that is frequently muddy.
Stats & Status
- Status: COMPLETED October 2019
- Working name: “Carroll’s Causeway” in honor of JJTrail supporters Brian & Ann Marie Carroll whose son Brendan graduated in the John Jay Class of 2018. The Carroll’s underwrote a matching donation drive that raised over $4,000 for the project.
- Causeway is 56′ long.
- There is one intermittent stream.
- The entire causeway is in the floodplain of the north branch of the Cross River. Heavy rain (~6″ or more within a day, depending on ground saturation) tends to bring the river up and over the floodplain level.
- Foundation blocks are fastened with extra rebar due to the intermittent flooding of this area.