The John Jay Community Trail Project is a multi-year effort.
See project overview page for background and project requirements.
Construction Projects & Status
The construction sites to date include:
Wetlands Trail Loop Section
- Bridge 1 – over river crossing site 1 (COMPLETED October 2017)
- Causeway – between Bridge 1 and Bridge 2 (COMPLETED October 2019)
- Bridge 2 with attached boardwalk – over river crossing site 2 (Bridge COMPLETED April 2018, Boardwalk COMPLETED May 2019)
- Boardwalk 1 (COMPLETED May 2019)
- Boardwalk 2 (COMPLETED June 2019)
- Boardwalk 3-4 (COMPLETED August 2019)
- Boardwalk 5 (COMPLETED July 2019)
- Boardwalk 6 (COMPLETED July 2019)
- Note: the sites are numbered in the order they occur on the trail from the Pit Field up to John Jay Middle School
Frog Hollow Boardwalk
There is a solo boardwalk between the JJMS field and the Pit Field where the ground is saturated and always muddy. See original survey map included with this 2015 article for location.
- Frog Hollow Boardwalk (COMPLETED September 2019)
Final Link Bridge and Boardwalks
The Final Link Trail goes uphill 1/4 mile from the far side of Bridge 3 up to the John Jay Contest Field, on the south side of the ravine. It traverses the school district-owned woods behind the Meadows Condominiums and the Orchard Square Shopping Center.
- Bridge 3 aka “The Championship Bridge” (started July 2019, foundations in place, construction underway.)
One boardwalk will be necessary on this final trail segment which was cut and cleared in September 2019.
- Final Link Boardwalk (Surveyed September 2019)
- 12-14 feet in length with 5-6 ramps either side.